Monday, February 16, 2015

Not In The Script by Amy Finnegan

My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Goodreads Summary
Millions of people witnessed Emma Taylor’s first kiss—a kiss that needed twelve takes and four camera angles to get right. After spending nearly all of her teen years performing on cue, Emma wonders if any part of her life is real anymore . . . particularly her relationships.

Jake Elliott’s face is on magazine ads around the world, but his lucrative modeling deals were a poor substitute for what he had to leave behind. Now acting is offering Jake everything he wants: close proximity to home; an opportunity to finally start school; and plenty of time with the smart and irresistible Emma Taylor . . . if she would just give him a chance.

When Jake takes Emma behind the scenes of his real life, she begins to see how genuine he is, but on-set relationships always end badly. Don’t they? Toss in Hollywood’s most notorious heartthrob and a resident diva who may or may not be as evil as she seems, and the production of Coyote Hills heats up in unexpected—and romantic—ways.

This novel in the deliciously fun If Only romance line proves that the best kinds of love stories don’t follow a script.

My Review
It has been a while since I've read a YA book, and even longer since I've read one that I loved. With Valentines Day coming up, though, I was really in the mood for a good YA romance. So, I looked through the ones I had, and Not In the Script kept tugging at me. So I started reading it with the hope that I would like it, but not sure. I couldn't have picked better, though, because I fell in love with Not In the Script (and Jake)!

From the first chapter I was hooked and did not want to put this book down. I enjoyed the setting on set and off set, scripted and unscripted, especially unscripted, so much! The witty banter between all of the characters, the dynamics between them, and the insider on set info were written for wonderful entertainment!

The Characters
The characters were amazing and very realistic. Behind the fame Emma and Jake were very real and relateable people, who I really enjoyed getting to know as they jumped off the pages. Both were kind, witty, smart, loyal, strong, and completely genuine. Behind the fame and money, they were just normal people wishing for a normal life. They had both had some tough breaks. Emma didn't want another on set relationship after the previous disasterous, cheating actors she had dated, and Jake was only modeling and acting to get enough money to support his family. As the paparazzi and witty banter between them collide with flying sparks will they be able to get past the rumors that are flying about the cast of Coyote Hills and start their friendship romance?

Jake was an amazing, caring, witty, and did I mention incredible guy who I instantly fell in love with! He is probably my only contemporary YA book boyfriend (I normally don't fall for contemporary YA guys, I guess their usually to similar to the ones at my highschool, but Jake is exceptional!), and it would be totally awesome if there was a copy of him in real life! Anyway... it was really refreshing to see a guy like him in a YA book. A guy who had dropped all of his dreams for a career in modeling (yes, he's totally handsome!) so that he would have the money to support his family. He was so supportive toward his mom and Emma, and very patient. In no way, was he arrogant or conceited, which happens way to often in YA books.

Then there were the side characters. I loved Jake's mom, she was a wonderful person and very strong. Emma's family was great too, from her overbearing manager mother, to her semi supportive dad, to her seven year old twin brothers. McGregor was an entertaining director, that made things, well unique on set. I had mixed feelings about Kimmi, Brett, and Rachel. None of them were as they first appear, and it was fun to watch  it all play out. They made for some genius twists within the book, but you'll have to read it for yourself!

The Romance
Jake and Emma are the perfect couple! Banter makes or breaks a romance for me, and well, let's just say that it by far made this one work. I loved their witty conversations, snide remarks, serious conversation, and the way they understood each other so well. I was laughing (I'm pretty sure I giggled too), and smiling endlessly every time they were together! I have never swooned so much while reading a contemporary book, I thought that I was going to burst a few times because I was trying to keep my smile under control while reading at school, but it was impossible! I appreciated how they really took their time, didn't rush, and truly got to know each other. Ahhhh!

This is a book with a perfectly witty slowburn romance with a side of can't slip this goofy grin of my face! Completely perfect for my Valentines date (and yours too as long as you get your own copy because I'm not sharing)! This one is definitely worth a reread someday too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments! I will reply to all comments that make a reply form in my mind, so if you have a question, comment, or something to say, feel free to do so!