Friday, March 27, 2015

These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman

My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Goodreads Summary
Luxury spaceliner Icarus suddenly plummets from hyperspace into the nearest planet. Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen survive -- alone. Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe. Tarver comes from nothing, a cynical war hero. Both journey across the eerie deserted terrain for help. Everything changes when they uncover the truth.

The Starbound Trilogy: Three worlds. Three love stories. One enemy.

My Review
These Broken Stars had been on my TBR list for a while, and I thought that the Fantasy Favourites Read-A-Thon presented the perfect opportunity for me to read it. So I bought it especially for the Read-A-Thon. I have mixed feelings about this book - over all I liked it. Because I read it with the Read-A-Thon I have a character cast and a playlist you can check out (my first of both by the way)!

I found the first half of this book, and the very end to be my very favorite parts! I thought it was kind of cute how Tarver and Lilac met, and didn’t realize who the other was (in his case) or pretended not to realize who the other person was (in her case). Their attraction to each other might have started when they saw each other across the room, but thankfully it developed into something more real and true.

Lilac LaRue was a rich girl, from the “right” kind of family, and circulating at the top of the social circles. Tarver is the son of a teacher and a poet, a war hero. This, along with any other match, is one that Monsieur LaRue just wouldn’t approve of, and Lilac and Tarver both know it. But, what I liked was the kind of twist on Romeo and Juliet feel. It wasn’t over done. There was no family feud, they don’t kill themselves, and their relationship is a lot more believable and realistic (thank goodness, and just to clarify I do not like Romeo and Juliet at all)! Yet there were some principles that were the same, as circumstances/stations would try to keep them apart, the dad was...well not a ball of sunshine, certain things that happen are slightly reminiscent of said story, and this was a beautiful love story.

I found the universe, and the discoveries they made to be very intriguing. This book definitely kept me turning pages and staying up late. I just couldn’t seem to put it down - my one more page would turn into one more chapter then another. As Tarver and Lilac traversed the rugged terrain after the wreck, they both show unexpected, surprising, and dare I say inspiring determination, strength, and perseverance. I appreciated the way they worked together and helped each other, even at the points where they didn’t get along.
I appreciated the character growth too. Tarver and Lilac go through a lot in this book, they go through relationship ups and downs, losses, illness, self doubt and so much more, and I enjoyed seeing them make it through to the other side. Their relationship was… unique. You’ll have to read to find out because all I’m telling you is that there is plenty of bickering and sassy banter in the beginning, then intense emotions in the last half. I rooted for their relationship, but with that said, I didn’t approve of all of their actions. Just because it seems like the world is coming to an end doesn’t mean they needed to rush into that. But, I kept reading, and they really and truly do love each other, and there was a beauty to their love - how they would do anything to save the other, even if it means losing theirself in the process.

The ending was satisfying enough, and I really did enjoy the journey, even if I was beginning to wonder at points (that I can’t discuss without spoiling the outcome). There was honestly, a beautiful and realistic depth buried into this novel that was well… I can’t think of another word...beautiful.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments! I will reply to all comments that make a reply form in my mind, so if you have a question, comment, or something to say, feel free to do so!